Pregnancy is the period which brings various changes in your body, and fortunately, most of the changes are more painful than pleasurable.
Painful hips, back, and legs, insomnia, nausea, swollen feet, headache and various unpredictable hormones, all are a part of normal pregnancy.
Most of you recover from the discomforts of pregnancy and also this help in your labor and delivery.
The secret behind this is prenatal massage.
The benefits of prenatal massage and even massage for infants are relatively new discovery and are becoming more popular.
During your pregnancy, your skeletal structure maintains high quantities of weight.
There is a greater shift in your organs to develop your baby, and also you will go through large number of psychological and emotional changes.
In prenatal massage, the therapist mainly concentrates to control those muscles, which are most affected by the changes of your pregnancy. Prenatal massage helps to lessen the discomfort and also offer relaxation.
Therapeutic benefits of prenatal massage â€“ According to the study
- Improves blood circulation and makes circulation in the normal direction of flow. This help to lessen the inflammation and offers sufficient oxygen supply to your baby.
- Lessens the pain and provides greater relaxation and deep breathing, which helps you during the labor.
- Massage enhances your muscle and also skin tone.
- Helps to relive from the pain at shoulder, back and neck, which is due to the muscle imbalance.
- Helps to alleviate anxiety, depression, and nervousness, which is due to hormonal imbalances.
- Prenatal massage alleviates from muscle discomfort, like tightening, knots, cramping and stiffness.
- It relieves you from insomnia.
- Massage lessens the stress on weight supporting joints like ankles, pelvis and lower back.
- Massage provides emotional support through gentle touch.
- Massage gives a great relief from chronic headaches.
- Massage improves the process of digestion.
- Improves your skinâ€™s elasticity and can help to reduce the stretch marks.
Studies have shown that 20 minutes of prenatal massage for twice a week for 5 weeks lessens the stress hormones in your body. Also, this process progresses your mood and sleep patterns and there is a great reduction in back pain and anxiety.
Women who receive prenatal massage had lower risks of postnatal complications, premature births, and also few obstetrical problems.
Link between prenatal massage in first trimester to miscarriage:
Most of the experts suggest you to avoid massage during the first trimester of your pregnancy, because at this time your body still undergoes the changes. This is because 90% of the miscarriages only happen in the first trimester of pregnancy. So, for this, if you avoid massage, then you will be safe from miscarriage.
One more reason to avoid prenatal massage during first trimester is morning sickness. 85-90% of the pregnant women have nausea and morning sickness in the early pregnancy. So, prenatal massage for women with these types of conditions is not an acceptable one.
If you donâ€™t experience any of the above conditions, then you can go for massaging. But, you need to avoid abdominal massage. Sometimes, prenatal massage causes misplacing of placenta.
Massaging is completely safe in your 2nd and 3rd trimester.
A mother-to-be should check with her doctor before getting prenatal massage. If you have any diseases like high blood pressure or diabetes, prenatal massage is not suitable for you.