Pregnancy days are bound to be tiresome, associated with factors like nausea, morning sickness, aching limbs, back pain and headache. With so many natural remedies available these days, why not take the advantage of them during the most delicate time of your life. Essential oils are made from plant extracts that are powerful and potent natural medicines to wade away most of the discomforts of your body.
However, many have doubts if essential oils are really safe during pregnancy? In this case you need to be careful while choosing the oils as all of them are not safe during pregnancy; the ones that can help you during this time not only makes you feel uplifted and energised but also improves your overall health. It is recommended to take the expert advice before you apply any of the essential oils.
Mood lifting – The application of essential oils in various forms aids in keeping you energised and uplifts your mood with positivity. Since the oils soothe your nerves and give a comforting sensation, they are appropriate to keep your mind clear from any tensions and stress.
Reduces pain and aches – Massaging of essential oils and taking bath with few drops in the water will evidently reduce back and shoulder pain, ankle pain due to swelling. It also helps to reduce nausea and effects of morning sickness.
List of Essential Oils that are Best for Pregnant Women
- Lavender – This essential oil can only be used if you have crossed 12-weeks of pregnancy and will assure of keeping you relaxed and balanced. It soothes your nerves and also eases the pregnancy related aches and pains. By reducing fluid retention it will prevent the swelling of legs.
- Cypress: You can use Cypress essential oil only after five months of pregnancy and it helps to relief the pains of varicose veins, haemorrhoids and swollen ankles.
- Orange: Orange essential oil keeps you calm, in cheerful mood and uplifted.
- Ylang ylang: This is a versatile essential oil and particularly recommended for pregnancy dates as it acts an aphrodisiac, but also keeps your blood pressure normal comforting you if you have anxiety bouts or stressful schedule.
- Eucalyptus – For hours during pregnancy that make you feel nervous, congested, and tired Eucalyptus acts an fabulous solution as it acts as an antiviral, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and antiviral to reduce the troubles related to respiratory complications.
- Sandalwood: Insomnia and troubled sleep is a common problem during pregnancy, where sandalwood oil acts as a natural anti-depressant and sedative to lull you to sleep. It also helps to deal with cystitis during pregnancy naturally.
- Neroli: Many pregnant women complain of feeling nervous, anxious and tensed; Neroli essential oil will help you to feel tranquil and relaxed; it also aids in boosting your skin cell regeneration to make you look more bright and younger.
- Tea tree oil: The antifungal and antiviral properties in tea tree oil can be best utilised during pregnancy. It helps you to control the symptoms of thrush during pregnancy.
- Patchouli: The best known essential oil for headaches, stressed nerve, anxiety and problem in decision making situations – patchouli is good during pregnancy and will help you to keep your head clear and in control.
Which Essential Oils should be Avoided in Pregnancy?
The oils of basil, cedarwood, black pepper, clove, cinnamon, chamomile, fennel, horseradish, lemon, jasmine, nutmeg, oregano, mustard, myrrh, lemongrass, rosemary, pine, peppermint, stinging nettle, sage, and thyme should be strictly avoided during pregnancy as some of them are toxic and can have emmenagogue action on you leading to miscarriage.