Pregnancy happens to be one of the most vital phases of any woman’s lifecycle; you are about to give birth to a new life and you should be taking utmost care of your body. These months will bring you many new things like overwhelming emotion, apprehensions about the child, and even unique food cravings.
Chocolates happen to be the most common cravings during pregnancy. Often pregnant women are not really sure if eating chocolates would be beneficial or risky during pregnancy but have it just to satisfy the craving.
Is Eating Chocolate During Pregnancy Safe?
Doctors have stated that eating chocolates are safe for pregnant women because it brings certain benefits; however you should ensure their caffeine intake is definitely below 200 mg per day. Chocolate contains high amounts of caffeine and its excessive accumulation in the body can cause disruptions in body’s functioning.
The neurotransmitters can be mislead giving a false feeling of well-being; moreover too much of chocolate can also lead to gestational diabetes and obesity due to the extra calories it provides. If you eat chocolates in moderation during pregnancy, there is no harm; it is better to consult your doctor about the same.
Benefits of Eating Chocolate During Pregnancy
- There are many varieties and textures of chocolates; some of the varieties have numerous benefits during pregnancy like the dark chocolates, ones with less sugar, cocoa rich and organic chocolates. Some of the benefits are enlisted here –
- Helps in regulating blood sugar; cocoa has Theobromine element that aids in regulating blood pressure in pregnant women. Chocolates help to maintain blood pressure by dilating the blood vessels.
- Dark chocolates help you in preventing pre-eclampsia; it is one of the commonest causes of premature birth and is characterized by high blood pressure, convulsions and even blood clots thereby damaging the liver.
- Keeps emotional mood balance perfect and both you and your baby happy; chocolate is a natural stress reliever and tests have proved that it improves a pregnant woman’s mood. In fact, many researchers have proved that the chemical in chocolate known as phenylethylamine is passed on from the mother to the child in the womb, thereby making happy babies.
- Chocolate contains essential antioxidants and flavonoids that improve immunity. Chocolate also has iron, magnesium, and other nutrients that help in the metabolism of fatty acid. Iron is also essential during pregnancy. Flavonoids help to fight certain cancers as well.
- Eating chocolate in moderation prevents a host of heart diseases, as it reduces cholesterol levels and unwanted weight.
Which Varieties of Chocolates are the Best During Pregnancy?
The Dark chocolate contains around 600 essential compounds including iron, magnesium, flavonoids, and theobromine – this variety is the best for pregnant women. Avoid having chocolate mousse during pregnancy as they contain raw eggs which might bring unwanted illnesses like toxoplasmosis and listeriosis. Organic chocolates with little sugar is preferable, look for bars that have at least 65% cocoa.
Thus, chocolates can give a would-be mother ample of health benefits if taken within limits.