Morning sickness mainly refers to nausea and vomiting that many women will experience in the early days of pregnancy.
Usually, it takes place due to a sudden increase in hormone levels during pregnancy.
Though morning sickness is most common in the morning, it can take place at any time in the day or night. If nausea and vomiting are mild, they are not usually a cause for concern.
However, if you vomit heavily more than four times in one day or lose more than two pounds, it is essential for you to seek immediate medical attention.
Fortunately, it wonâ€™t cause any problem for you or your baby if you keep up your weight and take enough fluids.
It often goes away on its own or gets better in the second trimester. In the meantime, if you want to get better relief, check out these simple tips:
- Eat smaller and more frequent meals throughout the day, so that you donâ€™t feel too full or too hungry. An empty stomach and low blood sugar, which results from long stretches between meals, can possibly trigger nausea. Always choose smaller and more frequent meals.
- Avoid warm places, as heat can increase feelings of nausea. Try eating plain crackers or dry cereals in your bed to avoid nausea feelings in the morning.
- Tiredness plays a very big part in pregnancy morning sickness. So, take enough rest and also naps during your day (not after having meals).
- Steer clear of odors that may possibly trigger nausea. Open windows or turn on exhaust fans while cooking to avoid nausea feeling.
- Avoid eating greasy, fatty or spicy foods. Instead, go for foods that are rich in carbohydrates and proteins like baked potatoes, white rice or dry toast.
- Eat whatever foods you can tolerate while your stomach is upset.
- Drink plenty of fluids, particularly if you feel that you are losing most of your fluids through vomiting.
- Minimize stress throughout your day, as morning sickness is more common among women who experience more stress during the day. Try to avoid stress either at work or home, particularly when youâ€™re pregnant because it can have a very bad effect on you and on your growing baby.
- Acupuncture wrist bands, which are generally used by sea passengers to prevent sea sickness, may help you to get better relief from morning sickness. Try to wear them, if your morning sickness is troubling you a lot.
After implementing these simple tips, if you donâ€™t feel better, consult your healthcare provider and seek better help.
Donâ€™t use any self-treatments for your morning sickness; it is always suggested to get the necessary medical assistance to avoid further pregnancy complications.