A lot of pregnant women around the world find a train journey more preferable and comfortable as compared to a journey by car, plain or bus.Â But even a train journey can take a toll for a pregnant woman and may cause discomfort, especially if the journey is long.
You must know that while travelling by train during pregnancy is absolutely safe, there are some steps that you will need to follow in order to ensure that you are safe and the journey goes on smoothly. The following are some of these steps to follow:
- The first step is to carry the minimum possible things with you and try to fit them in one bag or suitcase. Since picking up heavy items during pregnancy is not advisable, it is better to opt for a suitcase that has 4 wheels.
- It is always better to have a travelling companion with you when you are going on a train journey, especially one that shall go on for a long duration.
- Carry all your medications with you along with enough water so that they can be taken on time without any difficulty. Besides your prescribed medicines, also carry others for common cold, cough, fever and other common ailments.
- If you have been given an upper berth, then request the people around you to exchange it to the lower berth since going on the upper berth may prove to be uncomfortable and unsafe for you.
- Make sure your cellphone is fully charged and working. Carry the charger with you and keep in touch with your partner or other close relatives while you are in the train.
- If you have been experiencing vomiting and diarrhea during pregnancy, then try and request for a seat or berth which is closer to the toilets so that you can access it quickly.
- If the train journey is going to be long, then make sure you get up to take a walk or stretch your body often since sitting in the same position for a long time can cause cramps and discomfort. While sitting, rotate your ankles and wiggle your toes often.
- Make sure you wear sturdy and very comfortable footwear on your journey and avoid wearing heals or anything which you do not find comfortable.
- Wear comfortable clothes during the train journey and avoid wearing too many accessories or jewelry.
- Try to arrive early at the station and board the train while there is still time for departure since rushing at the last moment may not be the best idea for you.
- Carry enough food and liquids with you for the train journey since eating the food provided by the train staff may not be too healthy for you and your baby. Avoid buying from hawkers or indulging in processed foods which are unhealthy for pregnant women.
- Keep away from tea, coffee and soda during the train journey and keep yourself as hydrated as possible.
- Let others around you know that you are pregnant so that they can help you when needed.