For the expectant mother, any infection or illness while pregnant may be cause for worry, due to the apprehension about what ill effect, if any, the illness will have on her unborn baby.
Strep throat and pregnancy is a similar situation and may be a worrisome condition for the mother, even though this can be quite a commonly occurring condition during pregnancy.
Strep throat and pregnancy can be an uncomfortable combination, since it can cause a lot of discomfort and can have symptoms such as –
- Swelling and inflammation could be noted around the neck and throat as well as the Lymph nodes and tonsils.
- Breathing difficulties could be experienced in the case of Strep throat and pregnancy.
- There may be trouble or pain in swallowing food and water.
- Coughing fits; Productive cough that yields mucous.
- Fatigue and feelings of weakness, and excessive sweating.
- Aches, pains and fever. High Fever in particular could be dangerous during the first part of the pregnancy, when the raised body temperature could cause fetal problems. So if there is fever as a symptom of strep throat during pregnancy, one must get appropriate medical help.
- Headache, Nausea and less appetite could be a result of Strep throat and pregnancy.
Treatments for strep throat during pregnancy can be limited and only those can be had which are prescribed by the doctor as being safe for consumption by pregnant women. In addition, certain home remedies for strep throat in pregnancy could also help –
- Gargling with warm salt water, can help to soothe a swollen painful throat.
- Grate one inch ginger and then squeeze the juice from it. Mix the juice with a half teaspoon of honey for instant and natural relief.
- Several types of tea or tisanes can help to remedy strep throat naturally. Chamomile can be very beneficial owing to its naturally analgesic properties that help to lessen pain as well as fever. Ginger tea or tisane, can also help greatly to reduce the discomfort of strep throat and pregnancy. Honey and lemon tea can also help to reduce pain and swelling naturally in the case of Strep throat and pregnancy.
- If you can tolerate it, mix half a teaspoon of turmeric in warm milk or water, and drink it, last thing before going to bed. The natural antiseptic properties of turmeric will help fight the infection and also offer soothing relief from pain and swelling.
One question that many people ask is can the strep throat infection spread from the mother to the baby? It is not often that a baby will get the infection from the mother, in fact that chance is only 1% or .5% in most cases. However, there are certain risk factors that increase the chance of strep throat infection passing on to the unborn baby.
This infection can spread by direct contact with the bacteria; so it could pass from mother to baby during childbirth due to membrane rupture etc. Also it can pass from an infected man to the pregnant woman’s unborn baby in the event that the couple has oral intercourse. For all these reasons, strep throat and pregnancy is not a condition to take lightly.