Though many women experience constipation during pregnancy, many also experience the opposite problem like diarrhea during this time.
Diarrhea, which is more than three loose motions in a 24 hour period, may be caused by a virus, bacteria, or parasite of some sort and is usually not a problem that one needs to worry about.
Diarrhea is also something that resolves itself in time and needs no special medication for the most part.
However, the reason that pregnant women with diarrhea should be very careful is the fact that dehydration is a common outcome of diarrhea.
The body loses a lot of water and essential salts due to diarrhea. This is particularly true for pregnant women because they can quickly get dehydrated and this could be potentially problematic.
Oral rehydration products should be used to replenish fluids and salts lost and a doctor should be called in the following circumstances:
- If there is any blood being passed along with the stool
- If there is very little or no urine being passed
- If the diarrhea does not resolve itself or persists beyond a few days
- If the diarrhea accompanies by other symptoms such as vomiting and fever
- If there is severe pain accompanying the diarrhea