In vitro fertilization (IVF) is one of the most popular options nowadays to attain pregnancy. In this process of fertilisation, the egg and sperm is combined manually in a laboratory dish and later the embryo is transferred to the uterus. However, many people have too many rumours and misunderstandings about this treatment of infertility. This article will debunk the myths and wrong ideas about IVF and give you the scientific facts comprehensively –
Myth 1 â€“ All â€œInfertilityâ€ Medicines are Same
Reality â€“ There are varied of medications used in IVF techniques and other fertility treatments. Clomid is one of the most common medications for infertility cases but it is for timed intercourse or intrauterine insemination (IUI) and not included in the IVF treatment. Therefore it is wrong to think that any infertility medicine will be used for IVF treatment, rather most of the medications in IVF are injectable ones.
Myth 2 – The Success Rate of an IVF Cycle is not in your Hands
Reality â€“ The IVF success results depends on a number of factors that are related to the couple. Before you go for the treatment, you have to know certain facts about yourself â€“
- Firstly, is your uterus ready? This can be evaluated with ultrasound examination, hysteroscopy or X-Ray that particularly looks for polyps, fibroids, scar tissue, etc. that can act as a hindrance to the embryo implantation.
- Secondly, ask if your tubes are clear? Almost 50% of the success possibilities depend on this factor. If there is any blockage or fluid accumulated in the tube, they have to be removed before IVF.
- Thirdly, do you have enough eggs? You will essentially need a very good number of eggs for IVF success. This can be detected by an ultrasound.
- Fourthly, learn if your partnerâ€™s sperm count is enough? A good quality and quantity of sperm is needed for successful IVF.
- Fifthly, are your lifestyle and habits appropriate to go for an IVF? A proper counselling and array of tests is needed to see if your body and mind is ready for this process.
Thus, the success rate of IVF completely depends on you and your body.
Myth 3 â€“ You will have to Stay Strictly in Bed After the Embryo Transfer
Reality â€“ This is completely false statement. In fact, the opposite is true; a study done in Egypt proved that women lying in bed for 24 hours had lower chances of successful IVF. No movement can be actually harmful as that will prevent proper blood circulation and heart rate.
Myth 4 â€“ IVF is the only Treatment Available for Infertility
Reality â€“ This is not at all true and there are many more options to treat infertility like Intra Uterine Insemination (IUI), ovulation induction (OI) with medications. In some cases where women are in the first stage of treatment for infertility due to blockage in tubes and male infertility in advanced age, doctors do recommend IVF but it is definitely not the only option!
Myth 5 â€“ IVF is Extremely Costly!
Reality â€“ Nowadays IVF have come within reach of mediocre budgets as well! Initially the costs of IVF were quite high but it has remained the same over the years and did not increase much, thus as compared to the other major medical procedures like knee replacement, heart surgery or laser treatments, IVF is not costly!