A human body is made of cells of different types and it develops gradually through the process of cell differentiation. There is a research been made by the renowned scientists on the term- Stem cells. Development of stem cells and an umbilical cord has marked its achievement so let’s learn the advantages of its preservation. But before that, let’s learn what stem cells are?
What are Stem Cells?
Stem cells build the whole body structure and develop many different cell types in the body during early life and growth. When a stem cell divides, it either stays as a stem cell or some other differentiated cell and contains its own potentials like muscle cell, brain cell etc. It is also believed that may be one day, doctors will be able to make a complete human body with the help of a stem cell. Stem cells are generally found in bone marrow and fat tissues.
What is an Umbilical Cord?
An umbilical cord connects a baby in the womb of its mother. It acts as a link between the baby and its mother.
- During a pregnancy, Umbilical cord contains a rich source of stem cells that can be used in research and in clinical purposes to treat diseases of blood and immune system. Now the stem cells in umbilical cord are called haematopoietic stem cells. Stem cells are deeply related to Umbilical cord.
- Now, that we know about stem cells and umbilical cord. Let’s discover the benefits of preserving stem cells and umbilical cord.
Benefits of Reserving Stem Cells
- Regenerates medicine- Stem cells can be used in treating various diseases and also possesses the ability to regenerate tissues that builds in an organ. It repairs damages and reverses the effect of certain diseases.
- Available for treatment- There are certain cases where a child might need stem cells so if stem cells are preserved in a hospital, it will help in patients to recover faster.
- Less risk of complication in transplant- Using genetically related stem cells, which are free from the disease being treated, often results in successful transplants with fewer complications for a blood related family member. Around 30,000 transplants has been done worldwide.
- Helps curing diabetes- In a diabetic person, the amount of insulin produced is low. So, stem cells here can help in forming insulin to fight with diabetes.
- Reproduces blood and immune system- If immune system is damaged, stem cells forms tissues which repopulates it again to create immunity. It also reproduces blood in children who are deprived of blood.
- Stem cells if preserved can fight infection and carry oxygen around the body and helps in blood clotting.
- Has high Proliferation capacity.
Benefits of Reserving Umbilical Cord
- Umbilical cord can be frozen at Zero Degree Celsius for extracting stem cells anytime. Normally, it’s an expensive process and a child’s blood can be anytime matched with the cord blood if preserved
- Proven treatment in patients.
- Low risk of tumor formation.
- Helps other patients if cord cells are matched.
- Can be used anytime.
Photo Credit By: donatingcordblood.net