During pregnancy, a woman’s body will undergo many changes. One unpopular change during pregnancy is an increase in weight which can often be up to 50 pounds.
Unfortunately, after giving birth, you not only take your newborn back home, but also the extra weight. One of the first things you want to do after giving birth is lose the extra weight and get fit. Fortunately, there are a number of easy ways you can get fit after having a baby.
1. Right after giving birth, you should not jump into a rigorous exercise routine. It is important to let your body recover to avoid injury. Any exercise routine should be mild such as taking walks with your new baby. There are jogging strollers available. As well, you should design a fitness routine around the needs of the baby as babies will have many needs such as feedings and diaper changes.
2. Start out with a short exercise routine such as 30 minutes each day during times when the baby is sleeping. It will be easier to stick with the routine. As well, it will often be easier to care for the baby if you create a home exercise routine such as working out to an exercise DVD or walking on a treadmill. Start out by trying to exercise 2 – 3 times a week and work up to exercising daily as you get stronger and feel more energizing.
3. Toning and firming muscles should be part of your daily exercise routine. Stretching, yoga exercises, push-ups, and sit-ups, are a great way to tighten flabby muscles. Start out with a few repetitions and increase the repetitions as you get stronger.
4. Breastfeeding is not only beneficial to your baby, but it is also a great way to drop the extra weight. You can burn about 500 calories when you breast feed. During this time, it is important to eat healthy and well-balanced meals.
Eat foods that are rich in antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, protein. Fruits, vegetables, fish, poultry, lean meats, and low-fat dairy foods are good choices. Try to avoid fried foods and foods that are high in calories and try not to overindulge. As well, drink plenty of water.
5. When exercising, it is important to give your heart and lungs a good workout. With an increased heart rate, your metabolism will increase, thus stimulating weight loss. You can start out with 10 minute cardio workout sessions and work your way up to 30 minutes. There are a variety of quality cardio machines such as a treadmill.
Although an increase in weight is part of pregnancy, it does not mean the weight has to stay after giving birth. Proper exercise and a healthy diet will go a long way in dropping the extra pounds.
As well, getting fit and losing weight are not just helpful for you, but financial experts include adopting a healthy lifestyle as part of their health insurance tips to helping people find and purchase affordable health insurance. Before engaging in any exercise routine, you should consult with your doctor.