Is it safe to color your hair during pregnancy? Concerns regarding hair treatments during pregnancy are most common as they involve dyes and harmful chemicals. The treatments that involve these concerns include: coloring, bleaching, curling, and straightening.
No need to forgo your beauty regimen completely during the pregnancy period. Indeed most of the treatments leave you feel better about your pregnant appearance.
According to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG), usage of hair dyes is most likely safe during pregnancy because only a little amount of dye is absorbed through the skin.
Still, you must be cautious about the permanent dyes during the first trimester.
Though the absorption of hair dyes is very low, the only concern is that the breathing fumes involved in the dyes can cause harm to your developing baby.
Hair dyes that contain ammonia have strong chemical fumes, so it is better to avoid the dyes containing ammonia. Straightening products also contain ammonia, so be cautious while using them.
For a pregnant woman, it is safe to use semi-permanent dyes or highlighting processes. During the highlighting process, the dye is with in the foil and it wonâ€™t be absorbed into your skin. You can also consider vegetable dyes like henna as they are safe to color your hair during pregnancy.
Tips to consider when you chemically get treated your hair during pregnancy:
- Wait until you enter into the second trimester of your pregnancy period.
- Receive the treatment in well ventilated areas.
- Wash out the chemicals on your head when it is not necessary.
- Rinse your hair and scalp carefully with water after completing the treatment.
- Thoroughly follow the steps mentioned on the package.
- Wear protective gloves while applying the chemicals.
- Donâ€™t attempt to bleach or dye your eyelashes and eyebrows as it can lead to infection or swelling around the eye region.
- Perform patch test for allergic reactions before applying the dye.
Safety about perming and straightening products:
When it comes to the perming or straightening the hair during pregnancy, most of the dressers donâ€™t recommend them to receive. This is because; hormonal changes during pregnancy alter the way that your body reacts to chemical agents in relaxers or perms.
Instead of making head with full of curls, it is better to consider a perm with kinky frizz. So, it is better to avoid straightening or perming during pregnancy. Instead you can opt for new color with a new cut to appear fresh and new during the pregnancy.