For all those coffee loving women out there, the harsh truth is that you will have to quit caffeine or limit it to a large extent during pregnancy. Well you definitely love and crave for caffeine but it is one of those items which you may need to keep away from when you get pregnant.
There is a study which suggests that pregnant women who consume 200 milligrams or more amount of caffeine per day are at almost double the risk of a miscarriage and this is enough to suggest that caffeine is harmful for pregnant females. Rather than given up coffee and caffeine at the onset of pregnant, it is better to be ready much before it. The following are some of the ways to quit caffeine before pregnancy:
- One of the best ways to quit caffeine much before pregnancy is to find a good non-caffeinated drink to replace coffee and other caffeine dense drinks. You can choose a healthy herbal tea or a fizzy lemon drink. Infact, you can choose from among the many fruit juices during pregnancy as these are not just caffeine free but also very good for your health during pregnancy.
- Another way to quit caffeine is to switch to decaf coffee or just develop the habit of having hot water with lemon in the morning to curb your urge to have a cup of coffee every morning on waking up.
- If you are someone who has a habit of having coffee in the morning and evenings, then you can also switch to half hot milk-half coffee. This is a good alternative and will also help you get some calcium for your body.
- Introduce yourself to green tea and read about the various positive qualities of this tea variety so that you can easily quit caffeine and swap to something healthier for you and your baby.
- Another great way to quit caffeine or coffee before pregnancy is to sit down and make a list of the money that you spend on caffeine. Remember that caffeine is not just present in coffee but also in chocolates, a little bit in tea and several other food items. Once you calculate the total sum, you will realize how much of it you can save during pregnancy and treat yourself to something that you have wanted for a long time.
- Increasing your daily consumption of water is also another superb way to get over caffeine, even if for a little while. This is more important during the first few days after you quit caffeine as your body needs more adjusting during this period of time.
- Reducing the intake of caffeine at once can take a toll on the body and may lead to withdrawal symptoms like fatigue etc. and thus it is important to reduce the intake gradually. If you are used to having coffee twice a day, then bring this amount to once a day and gradually lower it down further on an overall basis.