Sometimes women take fertility medicines to conceive a baby. But at times, such medications can have side effects, especially if used for a longer duration. Ovarian Hyper Stimulation Symptoms, also known as OHSS can be one of the side effects of these medications taken by women to stimulate the production of ovules in their ovary.
If the ovary is excessively stimulated, then Ovarian Hyper Stimulation Symptoms occur. This can be a serious problem, and you will need proper medical care. It is better to go to a hospital if you face such a problem. Therefore it is prudent that you know about the condition and act accordingly.
Causes and Symptoms of OHSS:
Commonly, a womanâ€™s ovary produces one egg per cycle which if fertilized goes on to produce a fetus. But if you are having a problem in conceiving, your doctor could prescribe medicines to stimulate the ovary and produce more eggs. The problem occurs when the ovary is hyper stimulated.
However there are certain other stronger factors which can result in OHSS. These are:
- If you are given a shot of human chorionic gonadotrophin or HCG
- If you are given more than one shot of HCG during the time of ovulation
- If you conceive during this period
Generally woman who take oral medications for OHSS rarely face this problem.
There are certain symptoms that can tell if you have OHSS or not. These symptoms can be mild, medium or severe.
- In case of mild OHSS, you might experience bloating which is more than normal, and a feeling of fullness along with nausea and diarrhea, even a minor weight gain.
- In case of a medium OHSS there are other symptoms that a person generally experiences. These include soreness of the lower abdomen, gaining quite a lot of weight, darkening of the color of urine, continuous thirst, dryness of hair and skin, along with vomiting tendencies and diarrhea.
- If it is a case of severe OHSS, you might also experience bloating off the belly button, breathlessness, lesser urination or no urination at all, chest and calf pain, and lower abdominal pain.
Advised Treatment of OHSS:
It is always advisable that you must see a good doctor if you have symptoms mentioned above. Other than that you might follow a few other guidelines.
- If you have symptoms of mild OHSS, it is advisable to take professional help. Moreover, you should not have sexual intercourse during this time. Also a vaginal inspection is a strict no no. Do not do heavy physical work and keep drinking as much of fluid as you can.
- For moderate symptoms of OHSS, other than following the above mentioned points, you might also be advised by your doctor to do an ultrasound.Â Keep a check on your weight. Also blood test might be necessary if the problems persist. Hospitalization can also be another option, if the situation becomes worse.
- Severe OHSS means you must see a physician as early as possible. At this stage, probably you will need to be hospitalized and IVF fluid collection will be prescribed by your doctor.
Remember, this is a medical condition that needs expert help. So you must see a doctor and follow his advises.