Insomnia is a condition of not being able to sleep at night for a long period of time. During pregnancy, many women experience insomnia and there could be many reasons behind this. It may be due to feeling anxious, worries or excited about the new baby or having physical discomfort like tender breasts and backache etc.
Whatever the reason may be, insomnia during pregnancy needs to be cured and it is always better to opt for natural remedies for insomnia during pregnancy rather than going for over-the-counter pills. The following are some of these natural remedies that you can try if you are also unable to sleep at nights during pregnancy:
- You should avoid having caffeine late in the evening or night if you find it difficult to fall asleep. You can try having other non caffeinated drinks such as milk.
- Sometimes, having a late dinner may also result in insomnia or difficulty in sleeping at night so avoid having late dinners as the body needs time to digest before you sleep.
- Very little amount of vitamin B in the diet may be a reason for insomnia. So make it a point to eat a healthy diet which is high on Vitamin B content. For this, you can eat foods such as yeast, grains, green leafy vegetables and fish etc.
- If you are uncomfortable with light or noise during night, then you can wear earplugs or eye mask to ward these problems out.
- You can try having lavender, chamomile or ylang ylang essential oils to cure insomnia during pregnancy. But make sure that you don’t have more than 2 or 3 drops of these oils at a time. Use them by putting them on a tissue and not on your pillow.
- Try having a warm bath with these essential oils before sleeping as it may help to relax you.
- Bach flower remedy is another way to cure insomnia during pregnancy. You can try using two drops of a single flower remedy as it will help in easing general stress and tension, if that’s the reason for your insomnia problem.
- Meditation is another way to fight with insomnia during the time of pregnancy. This is an effective therapy which helps you calm down. Through this technique, a pregnancy woman can cope with anxiety which comes along with the anticipation of the situation.
- Eating magnesium rich foods may also help.