Being pregnant is a wonderful time. But before you know it, you may be experiencing pregnancy symptoms that you haven’t read about in all the books.
Wondering if those symptoms are normal? Here are some side-effects of pregnancy that you may not have expected.
Most of the time these unusual symptoms can be blamed on increased fluid retention and pregnancy hormones, and most disappear shortly after delivery.
Any time you are concerned, however, or in the case of potentially serious symptoms, talk with your health care provider to rule out anything serious.
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Vision changes (talk to your health care provider)
- Night sweats
- Nasal stuffiness and nose bleeds
- Increased flatulence
- Vaginal discharge and odors (again, check with your health care provider)
- Having difficulty remembering things, also known as â€œbaby brainâ€
- Sciatic nerve pain
- Popping noises that emanate from your hips when you walk
- Increased moles and skin tags
- Craving weird non-food items to eat, like chalk or dirt (called pica, check with your health care provider)
- Migraine headaches
- Gums bleeding when you brush your teeth (be sure to tell your dentist you’re pregnant)
- Unusual hair growth, which may include growing more hair in some places, less in others
- Excessive saliva production
Not every pregnant woman will experience these symptoms and they will be more pronounced in some women than others, but all can be an unusual side-effect of a perfectly normal pregnancy.