There are many reasons why a woman may find herself battling sleeplessness during pregnancy, finding that getting to sleep is difficult to begin with and then staying asleep and getting proper rest is another problem to contend with.
Firstly there are the hormonal changes that can cause sleeplessness; as many as 78% pregnant women may have trouble with sleep.
There are anxieties about the delivery, taking care of your newborn, lifestyle changes, nausea, needing to go to the bathroom, baby kicking, heartburn, restless legs etc., all of which can cause sleeplessness.
Here are some tips to avoid sleeplessness during pregnancy:
- Avoid spicy and fried foods and others that can cause discomfort and heartburn
- Sleep on your left side
- Think of starting some exercise that will help to overcome restless legs and also aid restful sleep. If yours is a normal healthy pregnancy, you should be as active as possible, so consult your doctor as to the best kind of activity for you and your stage of pregnancy.
- Don’t take too many fluids just before bed
- Engage in relaxation techniques and take a lavender scented bath just before bed time
- Make your bedroom a quiet, restful place
- If sleeplessness persists, speak to your doctor