As you start out on your heroic and lifelong role as mother and nurturer, things are not always going to be smooth sailing; but hang in there.
Motherhood is exciting, turbulent, and difficult, but don’t forget, it is just great fun as well! Read some words of wisdom about pregnancy and see if some of your discomforts will help to be eased:
- A ship under sail and a big-bellied woman are the handsomest two things that can be seen common – by Benjamin Franklin. If you are feeling heavy, awkward and unwieldy now, understand that the pregnant woman with her curved belly as she nurtures new life is one of the most beautiful things on earth! It is evidence of your fecundity and your generous heart as you help create and bring into the world another beautiful human being.
- To be pregnant has been for me each time the supreme joy … I was doing the greatest thing in the world without having to do anything — all I had to do was be – by Gloria Vanderbilt. It is really the miracle of life; that everything is getting done the way it is supposed to and at the end of nine months you have this brand new, stunningly beautiful life within the circle of your arms!
- Life is a flame that is always burning itself out, but it catches fire again every time a child is born – George Bernard Shaw. See a little bit of you continue in the color of your child’s eyes, the way she smiles, the way she will say her first word and perhaps in her mannerisms when she is older.
- Pregnancy defined is: Getting company inside one’s skin – by Maggie Scarf. In fact, pregnancy is very much like being inhabited as though someone took up temporary residence inside of you; it is a feeling of enriching fullness!
- When I was pregnant … I was a woman. No deadlines or curtains to meet. Whenever I thought of what was growing inside me [I felt that it was] a miracle, the height of creativity for any woman. – by Barbra Streisand. Pregnancy is indeed a time of great creativity and no matter what you are: homemaker, high power business woman or celebrity, you are bound by a common thread here with millions of other mothers who are undergoing exactly what you are!
- By far the most common craving of pregnant women is not to be pregnant – by Phyllis Diller. A fond wish not to be pregnant is not so uncommon, particularly at the end of a pregnancy, when you start wishing that the baby would get here already! And guess what, that is perfectly OK!