It is common to hear people giving tips to pregnant women when they are about to travel either by airplane, train or by car. There are certain precautions which a woman must take before she sets out for travelling because travelling during pregnancy could prove to be harmful for the health of the mother as well as the baby. At the least, it could be unnecessarily stressful and unpleasant. You can refer to the following tips for travelling during pregnancy to make sure you sure you and the baby are both safe, and as comfortable as possible.
- The first thing for a pregnant woman to keep in mind before traveling is to speak to her doctor and ask for his/her permission on the matter. Only with the approval of the doctor should the pregnant lady start planning the trip.
- Carry all your medicines as well as health records with you, just in case you need to see a doctor.
- Always request the front seat on the plane as it is not only closer to the bathroom but also has more leg space.
- A pregnant lady must drink a lot of water while traveling as it is good for her own health as well as that of the baby.
- Travelling can cause swollen feet so make sure of wearing comfortable footwear, preferably without pointed heels.
- It is important for a pregnant woman to remember that while traveling, she must keep the luggage as light as possible. Carry only the essentials, and don’t lift your heavy luggage.
- A pregnant woman must carry snacks such as nuts, fruits, whole grain crackers, and chocolate.
- It is always advisable to travel during the second trimester if possible. The reason behind this is that during second trimester, the problem of morning sickness is generally not there.
- It is important for a pregnant woman to take a short walk every two hours so as to avoid leg cramping etc. during traveling.
- Special pregnancy socks might help with the swelling. Be sure to try them and see if they work for you.
- You might want to carry your favorite pillow with you as well, as it will keep you both comfortable and more relaxed.
- If travelling by car, make sure you wear a seat belt.
These tips very effectively sum up everything that one needs to remember during pregnancy travelling. Following these will ensure a good trip for a lady who is pregnant and also keep her from experiencing any difficulty or complication.