There are many discomforts and minor ailments that afflict a pregnant woman; among them is heartburn[heartburn during pregnancy] or acidity. Here are some tips that will help you cope:
- This may be rather obvious but can bear repetition: avoid very spicy and oily foods since they contribute to heartburn. Avoid tomatoes as they can contribute to stomach acid. Also avoid caffeinated drinks, and too many processed and refined foods. They are neither nutritious nor will they help with heartburn
- Eat six small meals rather than 3 big meals. These are easier for the stomach to digest and will give the feeling of satiety as well.
- Don’t eat just before sleeping. Wait at least an hour before you go to sleep if you have just eaten.
- Yoghurt can help with combating heartburn since it has natural bacteria that help in this process.
- Don’t have a lot of liquids when eating, this can make the stomach expand and even if you do have a small meal it can negate the positive effects of it.
- Avoid clothing that is tight at the waist
- If heartburn persists, you can use over the counter medication which you must clear with your doctor first, however.