There are few concerns associated with travel during pregnancy.
In most of the cases, pregnant women can travel safely, even to exotic destinations.
But the thing is you need to know the safety factors related to insurance, vaccination and medications.
Along with the above factors, there are various special rules for pregnant women who want to travel by air.
You need to be very careful about some activities like hiking, diving and water sports, because these activities can cause stress on your body, which is the main culprit during pregnancy.
Travel during pregnancy – safe or not
Generally, travel during pregnancy is considered as safe until you don’t have any complications or concerns associated with your pregnancy. Travel during second trimester of your pregnancy is safe.
During first trimester pregnancy, you suffer from morning sickness. So, you feel uncomfortable during travel. In third trimester, you will be easily fatigued. So, the ideal time to travel during pregnancy is second trimester.
Travel by road when you are pregnant:
Generally, it is safe to travel during pregnancy, whether it is by bus, car or train. The thing is, just you need to consider some precautions to make your trip safe and more enjoyable.
- Always use the shoulder and lap belts for safer protection of you and your unborn baby.
- Turn on the air bags. The benefits of the airbag outweigh the hazards to you and your baby.
- You should be very careful when you travelling by bus, because they have narrow aisles and small bathrooms.
- Keep travel duration as less as possible i.e. between 5-6 hours.
- During the stops, take short walks and do some small stretches so that blood circulation is normal.
Travel by air when you are pregnant:
Air travel is considered as safe for pregnant women. Here are some factors, which make your trip safer and more enjoyable:
- Most of the airlines have constricted aisles and small bathrooms. So, it will be uneasy for you to use the restrooms. Sometimes the plane can shake due to some turbulence. So, make sure that you hold the seat backs whenever you navigate.
- Always prefer to travel by recognized airlines, avoid smaller private ones.
- While booking, request for aisle seat, which allows you to get up easily and to go to the restroom. You can also easily stretch your legs and back.
Travel by sea when you are pregnant:
Travel by sea is safe when you are pregnant. The only thing is, sea motion increases your morning sickness and also you will feel nauseous. So, here are few factors that you need to consider:
- Before going to book your sea travel, check with the cruise line whether there is healthcare provider or not in case of any emergency.
- Ask your doctor about the medications for seasickness and whether they are safe to take and they cause no risk to your growing baby.
- Use sickness bands. They use acupressure and help you in preventing upset stomach and also act as good alternative medication.
Tips for travel during pregnancy:
- Take snacks along with you. With this, you will be well nourished during long air trips or car trips.
- Taking frequent stretch breaks is vital for a pregnant woman.
- Consult your doctor about any vaccination you need to avoid or restrict during the travel.
- Staying hydrated is very essential. Take lots of fluids frequently. Always carry a bottle along with you.
- Dressing appropriately is essential for the trip. Wearing dress in layers keeps you cool or warm as you want throughout the trip.
Whenever you decide to travel during pregnancy, just consider the above factors so that you can enjoy safe and comfortable travel trip.