Being pregnant is definitely the most beautiful and special feeling for any woman. But this time period is also one when many things have to be kept in mind so that the health of the fetus and the expectant mother are not harmed and remain perfectly alright. During this period, a woman must carefully select her diet and must know what is to be eaten and what is to be avoided.
Eating anything which is not good for the health of the baby can cause a miscarriage and prove to be dangerous even for the expectant mother. The following are few foods which are to be avoided when a woman is pregnant in her first trimester:
- Seafood is surely very good for the health of a pregnant woman as it contains a lot of protein and omega-3 fatty acids in the fish can really be helpful in promoting the health of the baby. But at the same time, some shellfish and other fish must be avoided during the first trimester and these include swordfish, tilefish, shark and king mackerel.
- Raw, contaminated or uncooked seafood must also be avoided by a pregnant woman. One must also avoid eating refrigerated smoked seafood and all the other seafood must be cooked very properly.
- A pregnant woman must also avoid undercooked meat and poultry items as well. Refrigerated pates and meat spreads must also be given a rest along with pre stuffed raw poultry and raw eggs.
- Unpasteurized foods must also be avoided by a woman who is in her first trimester. Many varieties of cheese such as brie, feta, blue cheese, Mexican style cheese etc which haven’t been labeled as pasteurized must not be taken by a pregnant woman.
- Alcohol must be avoided by a woman all through her pregnancy and not only in the first 12 weeks which make for the first trimester.
- Unwashed vegetables or fruits are also a strict no-no for all those women who are having the first trimester of their pregnancy.
- Caffeine is another item which must be avoided by a pregnant woman. Intake of caffeine in moderation is considered OK but taking it in a large quantity might not be such a good idea because it may cause a miscarriage. So try and include a lot of water and fresh fruit juices in your beverage list and remove coffee from it.