Late age pregnancy is quite common these days and thanks to advanced medical facilities, there is not much risk involved in the same. However, it is does not mean that there is no risk at all as when women cross the age of 35, their fertility possibility declines.
Complications are bound to arise if you are planning to conceive after the age of 35. However, there are few precautions that can prevent these complications to a great extent and ensure that you have a healthy delivery. Here are they:
- A complete checkup and thorough discussion with a doctor is important before you plan to conceive. This includes thyroid test, vaccination updates and the likes.
- Genetic counseling is also recommended sometimes due to the presence of any genetic risks in your family
- Dental checkup is also required before conception as this prevents the birth of a low-weight or premature baby
Keep the following points in mind to prevent any kind of birth complications:
- Take folic acid every day for sure. Folic acid supplements should be taken while making an attempt to become pregnant and also during the first 12 weeks of pregnancy along with natural sources of folic acid like green leafy vegetables and citrus fruits
- Caffeine intake should be limited and you should not consume more than 200 mg a day. Remember that caffeine is just not present in coffee; it is present in energy drinks and chocolates as well.
- Eating a balanced and healthy diet is also important. Your diet should be enriched with fiber and starch. There should be vitamins and minerals in your diet. Taking 10 mcg of vitamin D is highly recommended.
- Avoid smoking and alcohol
- Do not take any drugs unless prescribed by your doctor.
This is something every important and involves the following:
- Various examinations and screenings are required to prevent any kind of birth defects or any other disorders that might occur before, during or after pregnancy. Some of these tests include amniocentesis, serum screening tests, chorionic villous sampling to name only a few. You can also consider joining childbirth classes.
- The initial 8 weeks are really crucial for any pregnancy and especially when you are above the age of 35. Proper prenatal care under the guidance of a doctor ensures that you have a healthy pregnancy.
- Preeclampsia is common in case of late age pregnancy and this involves a rise in the blood pressure along the presence of protein in the urine. Hence, prenatal care is required that involves checking your blood pressure at regular interval and also test your urine so that it can cured at the initial stages itself.
It is important that you maintain calm and not to be anxious. The more you think about complications, the more anxious you will become and that is not good for the health of your baby. Too much of stress can alter the balance of your hormones as well.