Once a twin pregnancy is diagnosed, it means that the mother to be needs to take certain extra precautions and know about possible complications due to the twin pregnancy:
- More frequent antenatal checkups and ultrasounds to keep track of the babies’ and mothers’ health and to check for possible preterm labor are required.
- There is greater need for supplements such as calcium, iron, folic acid and protein when carrying multiples.
- Mother to be will need more calories and will gain more weight when expecting twins.
- She will have to take more precautions and may be advised more restrictions.
There is likelihood of complications that one needs to be aware of:
- With multiples, the mother to be is more likely to develop high blood pressure.
- The chance of having a preterm birth also rises very considerably.
- Chances of disabilities, learning problems, developmental problems, digestive difficulties etc also increase.
- There is also the chance of a delayed-interval delivery where one of the twins is born prematurely and the other continues developing in the womb.
- Risk of twin to twin transfusion also rises.
- Multiples are more commonly delivered by C section.