Pregnancy is a time when you have to be careful about a lot many things than you used to be earlier. Itâ€™s not only you that you are protecting but also the baby in your womb. Not only when you are out, but also at home, you must take many precautions and exercise caution to the maximum to ensure protection of your baby and of yourself.
The house is a Pandora of many hidden dangers lurking that can affect the wellbeing of the baby. Hereâ€™s a list of the 7 hidden household dangers during pregnancy:
1. The wall paint-paints may consist of many chemicals such as carcinogens which can not only affect the eyes but also the respiratory system and cause headaches and nausea. The immune system of the baby in you is very sensitive and is thus more susceptible to the chemicals present in paints. Make sure you choose a non- toxic paint if you are planning on having a baby.
2. The makeup drawer-another area of the house to watch out for during pregnancy is the makeup drawer. The cosmetics with some or the other kind of fragrance can be harmful for the baby and must be avoided. You must keep them away in a cupboard from where you wonâ€™t be able to inhale the fragrance. Some nail polishes, perfumes, powders and other cosmetics can have toxic ingredients, which you must check before purchasing or using during pregnancy.
3. Home cleaning products-home cleaning products such as floor cleaners etc. can have many poisonous which must be kept away from you and hence from your baby. This kind of a chemical exposure is ideal when it is minimum and must be avoided at all costs.
4. The air quality-the air we breathe inside the house can actually be about 3 times more polluted than the air outside. This is due to the dust that gets trapped under the couches or carpets. This too ranks among the biggest hidden household dangers for pregnant females.
5. Mold-even little bits of mold in the house are not such a great idea, especially for pregnant women. Breathing in mold can cause running nose, cough, and itchy eyes which are not great if they occur during pregnancy. Infact, mold exposure can cause even bigger issues like skin rashes and asthma attacks and hence must be avoided.
6. Plastics-another hidden household danger for pregnant women is plastic. The ingredient which makes plastic shatterproof has been linked with various types of cancers and even other serious problems such as early puberty among kids. It is true that plastics cannot be removed completely from home but must be minimized to the maximum extent.
7. Your water-believe it or not, even the water used at home can be unsafe for an expectant mother or the baby. The water used at homes can contain many contaminants and may pose a risk for the health of the baby and the mother. It is best to opt for a water purifier or have boiled water.
Photo Credit By: sheknows.com